We’re all guilty of over-styling and tiring out our hair – whether it’s from heat damage, chemical straightening or frequent coloring. We’ve tried so many hair hacks to retain some moisturize and natural shine, but so far, the most beneficial oil has been Argan Oil.
Extracted from the core of argan trees, this oil has been a go-to beauty elixir for generations. We know it’s rich in vitamins and fatty acids, but what exactly does it to for our hair?
By definition, Argan Oil is derived from the kernels of the argan tree, and can be used in the kitchen (as it typically is in Morocco, where its tree is native to) or for cosmetic reasons. The oil itself can be found in its pure form, and because of its slew of beauty benefits, it can be applied topically to the skin, nails, and hair to hydrate and nourish.
Benefits of Argan Oil for Hair:
- Hydrates & softens
- Increases hair elasticity
- Prevents breakage
- Protects hair from mechanical stress
- Increases shine
Hair Type Considerations:
Argan oil can generally be used on most hair types, however you may need to apply it differently or use a different type of argan oil depending on your needs. If you have fine hair or hair that tends to get oily, argan oil can weigh your hair down if you don’t apply it sparingly. Argan oil is ideal on thick, curly or heavily colored hair.
How to use:
- Use as a hydrating hair mask: it works wonders for dry and damaged hair! Add a few drops to any dry areas and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Define your curls: thanks to its anti-frizz properties, you can add a few drops by running your fingers through your curls to give them a defined, bouncy look!
- Scalp treatment: Because argan oil is rich in antioxidants, it’s an effective scalp treatment. It can help reduce the scalp inflammation that leads to dandruff, itchiness, and other scalp issues.