Aromatherapy refers to a series of traditional, complementary therapies that use essential oils and other aromatic plant compounds. It is a holistic therapy that utilizes naturally derived aromatic essences from plants designed to balance, harmonize and strengthen the health of the body, mind, and soul.
Aromatherapy is considered to be both an art and a science. It has recently acquired more recognition in the fields of science, where scientific research has reported that essential oils offer various beneficial phytochemical properties: anti-stress, analgesic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial, but their ability to impact human potential isn’t just limited to psychophysiological effects.
When it comes to understanding how essential oils can influence our body, who better to ask than a neuroscientist?. “The olfactory senses connect very early in brain wiring to emotional centers, so the distance from when a scent hits the nose to when it hits an emotion is very short,” explained Leslie B. Vosshall, Ph.D., a molecular neurobiologist at the Rockefeller University.
When inhaled, essential oils stimulate the olfactory system – the sensory system used for smelling – signalling to the limbic system, which is linked to emotions, stress, breathing, memory, heart rate, blood pressure, and hormone balance. Accordingly, essential oils can have a subtle, yet holistic effect on the body.
In other words, while essential oils can directly influence your mood, they can do so much more to help you live your best life.
How to incorporate essential oils into your daily routine:
- Place a few drops of Cedarwood Essential Oil in a diffuser to allow a refreshing ambiance to fill the room.
- Sprinkle 2-3 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil in your bath for a weekly balancing ritual to feel calm and grounded.
- Put 1 drop of Eucalyptus Essential Oil on a tissue or a handkerchief, and hold it up to your nose for a few seconds to instantly refresh and reinvigorate your senses and breathe!
- Adding 2-3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil in a 4-ounce spray bottle makes a great natural disinfectant for your home.
- Mix 1 drop of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil with 20 drops of Hemp Seed Carrier Oil and rub into your skin for a soothing mood-enhancing massage.